Integrating Google Tag Manager (GTM) into your website is relatively straightforward!
Connecting Google Tag Manager to your website
Save the changes and update your website.
Finding your Google Tag Manager Container ID
1. Log in to your Google Tag Manager account.
2. You'll see the Container ID which consists of
GTM- and some letters or numbers – that’s the ID you need to paste in your website's integrations settings:
Checking if Googe Tag Manager has been connected successfully
Method 1: View source code
Open your website in a browser. Right-mouse click and select View page source:
Search (CTRL+F / CMD+F) for your GTM Container ID:
If you can see the ID, it means the integration has been successfully added to your site.
Method 2: Use Google Tag Assistant
1. Install Google Tag Assistant (this is a Chrome extension).
2. Open your website in Chrome.
3. Click on the extension, select the wanted tags (check/uncheck the boxes), select if you want to validate selected pages or all pages, and click Done:
4. Then, click Enable and reload the page:
5. Click on the extension again to see the results:
To learn more, check out the Beginners Guide to Google Tag Manager.