You can easily find File Manager by opening Hosting → Manage → File Manager:
File Manager Bar Buttons
When you open Hostinger File Manager, you will see a variety of bar buttons:
- New File – allows you to create a file in the folder you are browsing at the moment.
- New Folder – lets you create a new directory.
- Search – the button you click to find a particular file or folder.
- Upload Files – opens a pop-up window that allows you to select a new file to upload (up to 256 MB).
- Reload – refreshes the directory you are working on (for when you uploaded/changed files via FTP while File Manager was open and wish to see the changes).
- Icons and List – selecting this will alter the way you view the files.
- Language – changes the language of File Manager. Aside from the default English, the choices are Chinese, Spanish, French, German, and Russian, to mention a few.
- Log Out – logs you out of your File Manager account.
The context menu will be activated once a specific file or directory is selected (and the same functions can also be seen by right-clicking):
Let’s see what each of these functions does from left to right:
- Open – opens the chosen text file or directory.
- Download – it simply downloads the selected file or archive (up to 256 MB).
- Rename – lets you edit the name of a file or folder:
- Make sure to not remove your file extensions when renaming files (for example file.php to file) - as it might make the file unavailable.
4. Move – allows you to transfer the selected file or folder to another directory. To choose the new directory just click on Change:
- Make sure your files and folders are placed inside the public_html folder, as it’s a root folder of your website. This way all your website content will be displayed correctly 😊
- If you want to move website files from one domain to another, check this article.
5. Copy – select this option to duplicate a file or folder to the same or different location. The process is similar to the Move settings.
6. Edit – select this option to edit text files.
7. Permissions – specifies authorization with the read, write, or execute file options:
Default permissions for files are 644 or:
- Owner - Read, Write
- Group - Read
- Others - Read
Default permissions for folders are 755 or:
- Owner - Read, Write, Execute
- Group - Read, Execute
- Others - Read, Execute
Permissions in numbers can be seen above the Change button:
- If you are not sure about permissions you set, you can always reset them to default values.
8. Compress – as its name says, it lets you compress a file or folder into an archived format (compressed archive has to be smaller than 256 MB).
You can choose from four formats:
- If compressing files through File Manager doesn’t work or you wish to compress bigger files, you can do that easily via SSH.
9. Extract - can only be seen when archive is selected, it lets you extract your archive to the desired location:
- If your specified folder doesn’t exist, it will be created automatically.
- You can extract archives with the size of less than 256 MB, if your archive is bigger you can extract it via SSH.
10. Delete – permanently erases the selected file or folder.
- As public_html is your root folder, please do not delete it or any of its parent folders to ensure the website's stable work.
- This action is non-revertible, so if you accidentally deleted your files, you can restore them via backup.
That’s it! Now you know how to manage your files in our File Manager 😊