You can easily find File Manager by opening Hosting → Manage → File Manager:
File Manager Bar Buttons
When you open Hostinger File Manager, you will see a variety of bar buttons:
New File – allows you to create a file in the folder you are browsing at the moment.
New Folder – lets you create a new directory.
Search – the button you click to find a particular file or folder.
Upload Files – opens a pop-up window that allows you to select a new file to upload (up to 256 MB).
Reload – refreshes the directory you are working on (for when you uploaded/changed files via FTP while File Manager was open and wish to see the changes).
Icons and List – selecting this will alter the way you view the files.
Language – changes the language of File Manager. Aside from the default English, the choices are Chinese, Spanish, French, German, and Russian, to mention a few.
Log Out – logs you out of your File Manager account.
The context menu will be activated once a specific file or directory is selected (and the same functions can also be seen by right-clicking):
Let’s see what each of these functions does from left to right:
Open – opens the chosen text file or directory.
Download – it simply downloads the selected file or archive (up to 256 MB).
Rename – lets you edit the name of a file or folder:
Make sure to not remove your file extensions when renaming files (for example file.php to file) - as it might make the file unavailable.
4. Move – allows you to transfer the selected file or folder to another directory. To choose the new directory just click on Change:
Make sure your files and folders are placed inside the public_html folder, as it’s a root folder of your website. This way all your website content will be displayed correctly 😊
If you want to move website files from one domain to another, check this article.
5. Copy – select this option to duplicate a file or folder to the same or different location. The process is similar to the Move settings.
6. Edit – select this option to edit text files.
7. Permissions – specifies authorization with the read, write, or execute file options:
Default permissions for files are 644 or:
Owner - Read, Write
Group - Read
Others - Read
Default permissions for folders are 755 or:
Owner - Read, Write, Execute
Group - Read, Execute
Others - Read, Execute
Permissions in numbers can be seen above the Change button:
If you are not sure about permissions you set, you can always reset them to default values.
8. Compress – as its name says, it lets you compress a file or folder into an archived format (compressed archive has to be smaller than 256 MB).
You can choose from four formats:
If compressing files through File Manager doesn’t work or you wish to compress bigger files, you can do that easily via SSH.
9. Extract - can only be seen when archive is selected, it lets you extract your archive to the desired location:
If your specified folder doesn’t exist, it will be created automatically.
You can extract archives with the size of less than 256 MB, if your archive is bigger you can extract it via SSH.
10. Delete – permanently erases the selected file or folder.
As public_html is your root folder, please do not delete it or any of its parent folders to ensure the website's stable work.
This action is non-revertible, so if you accidentally deleted your files, you can restore them via backup.
That’s it! Now you know how to manage your files in our File Manager 😊